The world is big but with internet, airplanes and tv it gets smaller and smaller. We’re constantly exposed to other cultures and sometimes it leads to a big collision, raised eyebrows or as I like to believe, many good things aswell. In this big world full of different people and cultures there are a couple of things I find very odd.
1. A breakfast consisting of bacon and eggs. How can anyone want bacon for breakfast? In Sweden we only eat “light” food for breakfast so I find that very, very odd.
2. Pancaces for breakfast. Once again, for breakfast? Pancaces is dinner food.
3. Peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches. Ok I’ve never actually tasted this so perhaps I shouldn’t be so judgemental but the very thought of it is gross. Peanut butter is almost sickenly sweet and that alone on a sandwhich sounds disguisting but then to add jelly aswell? Eeeew!
4. Not taking off your shoes when you enter your own or someone else’s home. Doesn’t your home get very dirty when it’s muddy and wet outside? And the rest of the time aswell for that matter? In Sweden walking into someones home with your shoes on is conscidered rude.
5. Not saying goodbye when you finish a phone call. They never do that in american movies but perhaps that’s just in the movies, or? I’ve wondered about this for years so please do inform me about this matter! Is that a common way of ending a phone call?
6. Cheek kissing. Most swedes are reserved when it comes to introductions to new people so I think most of us find cheek kissings pretty uncomfortable. We even get uncomfortable if someone we’re talking to is standing a bit too close. That’s a thing many swedes going to southern Europe notice. I found myself backing away from people I was talking to in Spain because they were standing so damn close!
I know a lot more cultural differences like this but just because I’m trying to write about them of course I can’t remember any more than these, except the more obvious ones but they’re not quite as funny.
IT’S DONE! WordPress is working! The hate I’ve been feeling for it for the past few weeks is fading, a bit. I mean, at least it’s WORKING now. Everything looks like I want it to look and works in both FF and IE, I can write posts, you can comment, I have categories and everything is valid XHTML. All of the discontent and annoyance isn’t gone though because I had to change a few things to be able to pass the validation. Weird really since that code is perfectly valid outside WP. But inside WP it’s not so now I no longer have a visitors counter and that sucks big time. I’ve had that counter for almost three years and now I have to get a new one and my statistics will be reset and forever gone. Of course I could stick with my old counter because nothing is visually wrong with the page when I use it but the code isn’t valid and I’m a perfectionist when it comes to that.
Sorry for not visiting any of you lovely affies lately. I blame it on trying to get my site back up running. I’ll be back on track for real in a day or two so see you later. <3
I love love love love love my sister! I really don’t have anything else to say. I just wanted to tell the world that my sister is the best sister ever.
I still hate wordpress!
Things are starting to look better though. I mean today you can actually see my layout! But I’m not done yet and I still DON’T like it! WordPress likes lists and other bad codes which I don’t like nor use so there’s a lot of crap to change. And lots of stuff I would have preferred to have other ways. The worst thing is that I don’t understand a lot of the advanced coding and I really hate having to rely on those codes made by WordPress and not me. And sure wordpress has a lot of interesting feautures but personally ALL I want is a commenting system and a archive. I don’t need those other fancy feautures but here I am with tons of WordPress folders and codes and still more modification to do. So much work for so little. I don’t even like updating my blog automatically. I guess I’m just THAT old fashioned.
Speaking of that, this spring I’ve been building web pages for nine years. And this fall I’ve been blogging for eight years.
You really can’t tell right now but wordpress is going better and better. Right now you can’t see it because I’m not done with the coding so I took it offline so I could write this. Tomorrow I’ll continue the horrible progress of learning the mysteries of the blogging tool so many say so nice things about. Personally I hate it already. I conscider myself to be a good web designer with good XHTML and CSS skills but modifying the wordpress code is fucking hard! And I really hate that it’s so automatized and that the wp code is taking over an entire part of my site. I want to code everything myself! Unfortunately I have no knowledge of databases so I have to go with wp since cutenews sucks too. I liked cutenews but the spam was killing me and when I finally installed captcha and had it working for a couple of weeks I go and update my .nu-adress to a real domain et voila my domain doesn’t support cutenews captcha! The fact that all cool cutenews functions are hacks and the bad archive function didn’t really make me even want to try to fix cutenews this time. So I went wordpress and I hate it. It BETTER be REALLY good once it’s installed and working!
I miss my site, I miss my blog, I miss my affies. Sorry for being so bad at commenting but I’ll be back once I’ve got this figured out.
I’m still working on stupid wordpress and I’m stuck stuck stuck. Maybe one of you reading this could help me?
The thing is that I want my blog to be situated at my main page www.whirlwind.nu and not on www.whirlwind.nu/wp or something similar. And I want to integrate my site to wordpress by creating a theme matching my web sites css rather than integrating the feed to my site.
But if I understand it correctly I need to set up a www.whirlwind.nu/wp adress/folder for that since my index will be controlled by my regular css and wp controlled by a theme.
So the problem is that I want the blog to be the first thing you see when you enter my site, therefor I need it on www.whirlwind.nu, without that subfolder. But apparantly (?) if I want to go with the theme solution I need it to be in a subfolder.
So what do I do?
Följ min blogg med bloglovin